Wednesday, April 2, 2008

More good news, more bad news

My goodness... I never dreamed I would have gone nearly 6 months without making a post. So much to write, so little time. I have so many projects, so much work to do, so much to fix, so many people to visit... I wonder if I'll ever be able to catch up. But enough about me.

I-69 clearing finally started!

Wow. I've been waiting over 10 years to say that! And, I missed it. It was more than 2 weeks ago. The best quote I've seen so far is from Jeff Kolb. "It's about doggone time." I couldn't have said it better myself. It's still so far away, but at least it's moving now. I can't imagine the time it could have saved, the lives it could have saved, and the accidents we could have avoided over the last 10 years. Hopefully things will move along quickly.


Mr. Wildcat died

Now for the bad news. It's a sad time for the Big Blue Nation. Bill Keightley, better known as "Mr. Wildcat" died in Cincinnati on Monday. He has been the equipment manager for every UK coach since Rupp, and apparently the best friend of everyone at UK. I never had the pleasure of meeting him up close, but I haven't heard so many good things about a man in my life. I know how important that job can be first hand. You can make or break a coach's or player's day. You can change the whole atmosphere of a practice. Bill must have been really something... not to mention still going at age 81, with 42 years on the Big Blue Bench. It wasn't the storybook ending he deserved. He fell off a bus going to the Reds opening game, and ruptured a tumor he didn't know he had. I'm sure UK will find a way to honor him. I hope they at least name the floor at the new Joe Craft center practice facility after him, or maybe even Memorial Coliseum. Here's to Bill Keightley, #1 wildcat.






No comments: